AACSA Officers and Board
Recruitment of Board Members
AACSA seeks individuals to serve on the board of directors who are committed and civic-minded. A potential Board member must serve on an AACSA committee for a minimum of three months before consideration for a position on the Board.
The Board of Directors of the San African American Community Service Agency (AACSA) continually accepts nominations to its board from a variety of sources to ensure broad community representation and a full complement of skills necessary to fulfill the Agency's mission. Interested individuals should possess and have demonstrated in prior community or professional service many of the following skills and characteristics:
- Commitment to the Agency's mission
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Principled behavior
- Strategic thinking and problem solving
- Visionary thinking
- Group process oriented
- Prior non-profit board service
- Prior community service
Board members are all volunteers. The board's membership includes men and women, people of color and white, and all ranges of income. The board is proud of its diversity, yet understands it does not speak for everyone. The board seeks to maintain and build upon its diversity and to reflect ongoing changes in the African American community and encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Persons wishing to volunteer on the board should be able to commit 6-12 hours per month on Agency business, as well as, assist in raising funds. Specifically, individuals must be able to:
- Attend all regularly scheduled board meetings
- Serve and chair at least one standing committee and attend that committee's monthly meetings. Written reports of your committee's progress are due monthly
- Attend Agency functions and fundraising events
- Must represent the Agency as an ambassador to the community, which requires attending two or more community meetings and/or events each month to encourage networking and collaborative spirit with various organizations and community leaders
- Represent the Agency's mission and the Board's decisions
Applying for the Board
Submit a resume with your work experience, education, and volunteer activities to the AACSA Board of Directors via email to email@example.com. Include a detailed cover letter letting us know why you would like to participate on the Board. You will be contacted by one of the Directors regarding the application status. All new candidates are subject to majority vote by the existing Board of Directors.